Looking for a sugar free pudding for some friends coming to tea, I stumbled across this truly fabulous recipe for a raw brownie. I’m not particularly into raw – I have enough dietary restrictions as it is – but this has certainly made me think about raw food a bit more.
My two boys think it’s a massive treat to get a piece of this. I have to be a bit careful as the dates contain a lot of sugar – but I treat myself to a piece every now and then.
I played around with the recipe a bit – here it is:
2 cups whole walnuts
2 1/2 cups Medjool dates
1 cup raw cacao (Sheffielders can get this from Zed’s on Nether Edge Rd)
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1. Food process the walnuts on high until finely ground
2. Add the cacao and salt – pulse to combine
3. Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube. The mix should appear like cake crumbs but when pressed will easily stick together. If it doesn’t, add a few more dates
4. Take the mix out of the whizzer and mix in the chopped macadamias
5. Press into a lined mould – Tupperware or similar clippy plastic boxes work well
6. Store in the fridge until ready to serve, then cut into pieces
They last a few weeks in an airtight container in the fridge – well they might if you keep them a secret! Enjoy…